The wonders of modern technology

I’m writing this blogpost on Rinpoche, without wi-fi, and without a smart phone. I’m old school and still have a stupid phone. but my lovely wife Megan has a smart one, and it’s so smart it doubles as a mobile hotspot. So I can log on to her phone and write a blogpost from my old netbook computer. Cool, very cool.

P1040624Here we are at anchor in Friday Harbor, but it was a bit of an adventure getting here. We spent the first two nights in Port Townsend. We didn’t plan on two nights there, but the fog was so thick the morning we wanted to leave, after a few minutes of boating-by-instrument, I turned around and re-hooked the mooring buoy to wait out the fog. When it had finally cleared enough for us to get out of Flagler State Park we left, but soon encountered more pea soup as soon as we approached the Straits of Juan de Fuca. We spent a couple of hours circling around waiting for the fog in the Straits to lighten up, and I stuck our nose out a few times, but we finally gave up around 11AM.

P1040611By the time the fog cleared, the gale warnings ended any thoughts of getting out that day. So we spent the rest of the day and the night in Port Townsend. It wasn’t all hardship.

P1040615We had a lovely lunch overlooking the water and wandered around the galleries and funky stores.

The next morning, the fog was gone, but the winds were still high at 10-20 knots. Gale warnings started again in the afternoon, so I thought it would be good to get out early, even though the crossing might be a bit uncomfortable. It was more uncomfortable (at least for Megan) than I expected. We had winds of mostly 15-25 knots and 2-4 foot seas with the occasional 6-8′ rogue wave. Megan was a good sport even though she spent an awful lot of time with a Tupperware container within easy reach. We motored and did not sail at all until we were past Cattle Pass.

But our adventures weren’t over yet. When we were trying to hook the mooring ball at Reid Harbor on Stuart Island, I was backing up to the ball and snagged the dinghy line with the prop. But wait, there’s more! Seconds later, I snagged the docking line too! So I dropped anchor, put on the wet suit and mask, and dove to cut the lines.

P1040623I managed to unwrap the docking line without any cutting, but here’s some of what’s left of the dinghy line. The knife you see in the picture is fabulous! Not only did it cut the line off with relative ease, it also knicked the hell out of my hands, leaving a trail of blood all over the boat when I was done. But I think we got lucky. No weird vibrations, and no damage done (except to my pride).

I thought it would be a good thing to go to Friday Harbor, where marine services are readily available, but as it turns out I don’t think we need any. I did buy a new pump for one of the heads and installed it today, so I was somewhat productive.

I think we’ll stick around the San Juans for a few days just to make sure we’ve got our act together before heading to the wilds of Canada. Roche Harbor tomorrow, I think.

Life is good.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s