Seattle to CITW

I hadn’t been to the Cabin In The Woods for about three months, and it was about time to go. I had a few things on my to-do list, but brewing a batch of beer wasn’t one of them. It was 90° in the shade when I got here, and that’s too hot for beer brewing in my non-airconditioned Brewhaus. (Not so much for my comfort as for the comfort of the fermenting brew. Most ales like a fermentation temperature about 65°) High on my list was cutting down a few trees that made the mistake of growing too close to the cabin. For that sin, they will serve their time in the fireplace during the winter of 2017-18. The other thing was to load up the snowmobiles and take them back to civilization for long overdue service.

Cutting down fairly large trees wasn’t something I felt really comfortable with, especially by myself. I could just see a tree creating an open-air skylight in the CITW or Brewhaus roof. In general terms, I knew how to cut a notch in the trunk and then cut from the opposite side to make the tree fall in the direction of the notch. But having never done this before, I wasn’t really confident. So I did what any self-respecting lumberjack-wannabe would do – I watched a YouTube video. In less than five minutes, I was an expert.

Here are the results:



This one of the four trees I cut down. I’ll let them lie for a few weeks before splitting and stacking them. (Hey Pete – you wanna come down here and give me a hand?)


The remaining trees are still on the ground. Cutting them down and bucking up one of them was about enough for one day for this old man.

I was tempted to prop up my camera and make a video of my lumberjacking skills, but I realized that if things went wrong, the video could end up going viral for all the wrong reasons. And if things went really wrong, that video could include my last breath. So preferring anonymity to infamy, I just went ahead and started cutting. The trees fell without drama. Maybe there are some lumberjack genes in my Canadian heritage.

The next project was to drag the trailer out the bush and load the sleds up. Surprisingly enough, there was air in the tires after at least three years of just sitting there. Loading the sleds in non-winter conditions is always a pain in the butt. They don’t work worth a damn in gravel. I backed the trailer up close to the garage and managed to drive one of them on. The other one had to be winched on, but otherwise all went well.


The sleds had not been serviced for at least three years, and last season they were starting to show it. With some luck, we’ll have a great winter of snow this year, and put many miles on these beasts.

Ps. For those of you expecting another round Vancouver Island post, stay tuned. There are a lot more to come.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s